Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to right sidebar Skip to footer

Doing Business in Nederland

Town of Nederland business licenses are required for all businesses located and/or conducting business within the Town of Nederland, whether they collect sales tax or not.  This includes home-based businesses and non-profits as well as more traditional commercial, store-front businesses.  Information on applicable fees is available on our Fee Schedule.  See “other licenses” page for liquor and marijuana.

*All Businesses Licenses within the Town of Nederland in a brick-and-mortar location will require a building permit for a Change of Occupancy (if the same type of use) or a Change of Use (if converting to a different use). The applicant/tenant should ensure due diligence to be assured that the space to be converted is able to accommodate necessary changes.

Nederland Sales Tax Breakdown – 2019

4.00%  Town of Nederland (includes 0.25% for Nederland road repairs)
0.985% Boulder County
2.90%  State of Colorado
1.1% RTD and other districts
8.985% TOTAL

General Business Licenses

If you are launching a new business in Nederland, please click below for information on our business licensing process.  Please read our business license ordinance and New Business Resource Guide to get started.  For a good, simple overview of why businesses need a business license, please click here.

Ordinance 689 Business License Amendments 

How-To Guide – Starting a New Business in Nederland

2020 New Business License Application

2020 Business Renewal Application

Business Licenses are due to be renewed annually.

All new businesses that have a storefront will require a building permit for a Change of Occupancy Life Safety Inspection, which can be incorporated in a Change of Use or building alteration permit if required.  Other permits may be applicable, see below for related reviews and permits.

Nederland Building Permit Application – One-stops (minor changes)

Nederland Building Permit for New Residential or Commercial Construction (major remodel, new construction)

Home Occupation Use Review Application

Peddler/Solicitor Permit Application

Sidewalk Display Permit Application

Sign Permit Application Packet

Backflow Prevention Survey


For additional information on business licenses or the application process, please contact the Town Clerk at (303) 258-3266, ext. 1030 or stop by Town Hall.