Get involved in Shared Stewardship on the Boulder Ranger District
Six volunteer opportunities available this spring
BOULDER, Colo. (April 29, 2019) — The Roosevelt National Forest’s Boulder Ranger District is seeking volunteers to assist with six Stewardship Days this spring. The goal is to contain the spreading resource impact caused by dispersed camping across the ranger district. Planned work could include reducing, combining or erasing the footprints of some dispersed campsites, as well as installing vehicle barriers, buck-n-rail fence and signage to manage existing sites.
Please RSVP via e-mail to Jared Smith at email@example.com with the date and location you are interested in attending as the e-mail’s subject line. The RSVP helps staff plan appropriately for the number of people and update participants on any changes due to weather. If any groups are planning on attending, only one person needs to RSVP with how many people are planning on attending.
The Forest Service will provide hardhats and all necessary tools. Volunteers should bring their own work boots, work gloves, long sleeved shirts and pants, eye protection, lunches and water. Participants should plan to meet the Forest Service at the desired location at 9:30 a.m. on the dates listed below.
The work areas, meeting locations and dates are:
Planned Stewardship Days:
- Saturday May 4th – Front Range Trailhead
- Directions: From Boulder, CO drive west on Boulder Canyon Drive (CO-119) for approximately 5.0 miles, turn left or south on Magnolia Drive and drive approximately 8.3 miles, turn right or north on Forest Service Road 357.1 and drive approximately 0.2 miles to the Trailhead parking area.
- Saturday May 11th – West Magnolia camping area
- Directions: From Nederland, CO drive south on Highway 72 for approximately 1.9 miles, turn right or west on County Road 132 W, drive approximately 1.0 miles, turn left or south on Forest Road 355.1A and the trailhead parking area will be on your right.
- Saturday June 1st – Sugarloaf Mountain Trailhead/ Switzerland Trail
- Directions: From Boulder, CO drive west on Boulder Canyon Drive (CO-119) for approximately 5.2 miles, turn right or north on Sugarloaf Road and drive approximately 4.7 miles, turn right or north on Sugarloaf Mountain Road (County Road 93) and drive approximately 0.8 miles to the Sugarloaf Mountain Trailhead parking area.
- Saturday June 8th – Rocky Point Road
- Directions: From Boulder, CO drive west on Sunshine Canyon Drive for approximately 11.0 miles, continue through the town of Gold Hill on Main Street or County Road 52 and drive approximately 1.3 miles, turn left or south on Forest Road 453.1 and park near the intersection of County Road 52 and Forest Road 453.1.
- Saturday June 8th – Ruby Gulch camping area
- Directions: From Nederland, CO drive north along Highway 72 for approximately 7.5 miles, turn right or east on Forest Road 328.1 and drive approximately 500 feet, turn right or south-east to continue on Forest Road 328.1 and drive approximately 0.15 miles, turn left or north on Forest Road 328.1B and park on the right side at the big open campsite.
- Saturday June 15th – Upham Gulch/ Switzerland Trail
- Directions: From Nederland, CO drive north along Highway 72 for approximately 4.7 miles, turn right or east onto Forest Road 226.1 and drive approximately 250 feet to the large parking area on the right.
- Other Forest Service locations that already held Stewardship Days this year include:
- East Magnolia Road area (Forest Road 321)
- Peewink Mountain Road area (Forest Road 332.1)