Published on 07/3/18 3:57 PM
To apply to be a Board of Zoning Adjustment member come to Town Hall for an application or download an application: Advisory Board & Commission Application
Return completed application to the Town Clerk at Town Hall or email: email@example.com
The Board of Zoning Adjustment meets as needed on the second Thursday of each quarter (January, April, July, October) in the Nederland Community Center.
Nederland Municipal Code, Section 16:232, describes the Board of Zoning Adjustment:
The Board shall hear and decide applications for variances where there are practical difficulties or unnecessary hardships in the way of carrying out the strict letter of this Chapter [Chapter 16, Municipal Code]. The Board has the power to vary or modify the application of the regulations or provisions of this Chapter relating to the use, construction or alteration of buildings or structures, or the use of land, so that the spirit of this Chapter is observed, public safety and welfare secured and substantial justice done, provided that the Board finds that all of the following criteria have been satisfied:
- That there are unique physical circumstances or conditions, such as irregularity, narrowness, shallowness or size of the lot, or exceptional topographical or other physical conditions peculiar to the affected property;
- That, because of such physical circumstances or conditions, the property cannot reasonably be developed in conformity with the provisions of this Chapter;
- That such unnecessary hardship has not been created by the applicant;
- That the variance, if granted, will not alter the essential character of the neighborhood or district in which the property is located nor substantially or permanently impair the appropriate use or development of adjacent property; and
- That the variance, if granted, is the minimum variance that will afford relief and is the least modification possible of this Chapter’s provisions which are in question.