A committee review of the final draft proposal for the Community Center Site Development Plan will be held Thursday January 23 at 6 pm in the Community Room of the Community Center. The meeting is open to the public. The proposal approved at this meeting will be submitted to the Town Board of Trustees at their February 18 meeting.
The draft proposal was selected by the CC Site Plan committee after reviewing comments by the public from the January 11 presentation by the Site Plan consultants*. The consultants presented three concepts for developing the site and the public questioned and commented on all three. Comments ranged widely but there was an understandable concern for adequate drainage, adequate parking, and better auto and trail traffic circulation.
The draft proposal to be presented January 23 is loosely based on concept “K” presented at the January 11 meeting. Drawings of concept “K” is attached. The January 23 proposal will have the following general features:
• The West Wing is replaced by a 2-story building facing the highway, with sheltered walkways to and from the main building. The main building will have a new west façade enclosing a ramp from the new walkway and from Forest Road down to the current south entrance.
• The area between the buildings will be a terraced landscape with the town trail winding through it from the Jefferson Street entrance up to the highway opposite Navajo Trail.
• The south driveway will be retained as a one-way entrance. A new one-way exit lane is proposed from the lower parking lot up to Forest Road, which will then continue the access loop out to the highway. The new exit lane will cut across the hillside where the Magnolia Schoolhouse is now, and the schoolhouse will be relocated to a more appropriate site in town.
• The highway entrance, which was originally designed as a drop-off and pick-up area for schoolchildren, will be slightly expanded and rebuilt as a drop-off loop with access to the new multipurpose building, the south driveway and Forest Road.
• The stone bus barn or garage may or may not be moved or recycled to accommodate traffic and parking along Forest Road.
• The east side of the CC site will be landscaped and engineered to divert and control storm-water runoff. The berm now protecting the east side of the parking lot will be reconstructed to control runoff and prevent trash from blowing into neighboring yards.
The proposed concept plan is NOT a building design. It says nothing about the size, shape, or materials for proposed buildings, driveways, parking lots, or landscape areas.
*The three concept plans presented on January 11 were drawn from over a dozen proposed plans, and many variations, considered by the Site Plan committee over the past year. Those plans, in turn, were based on comments from previous planning efforts such as the Trails Master Plan, the West Wing workshops, Envision 2020, the new Town Comprehensive Plan, and the new Town Master Infrastructure Plan.